 From: Vern <jevern@xxxxxxx>
To: harp-L list <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, October 20, 2012 4:29 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Chris Michalek

At SPAH2010, I helped Brendan Power organize a blind test to determine if any of a panel of well-known players could distinguish among combs of different materials.  We did this by changing a variety of combs into the same set of covers and reedplates.  Members of the panel played the harp and noted their impressions of Power-chosen attributes.

Only Michalek wrote in the same rating for every attribute of every comb.  This could have been an honest indication that he could not distinguish differences.  However, I interpreted it as contempt for the test.   The other panelists cheerfully cooperated with the test protocol.

On another occasion, I had a pleasant interaction when he requested and I supplied the CNC program for cutting 270 combs.

With certain people, you must tolerate their quirks with amusement and admire their accomplishments.  From what little I know, Chris was a net plus.

Vern