[Harp-L] Subject: Re: Chris Michalek

A couple of points. Chris Michalek wasn't anything close to being a
Narcissist. Dave Payne got that right.

As to somebody here having the utter arrogance to 'guess' that he  wasn't a
happy person? Get real. He absolutely ADORED his wife..no one could be
around him- especially when he was with her, and not see the absolute joy he
had  in her and their relationship. He'd post photos of the meals he'd cook
for her on facebook. So NO one has any right to surmise in public  that he
wasn't a happy person if you did not know the man! His music spoke  for his
state of mind as well and it was beautiful.

My interactions with him over the several months while he made my 4 Buddha
harps were very special and fun (and Buddha was the name he chose for  his
separate harp-list 'Buddha's Garden' because he was  half-Asian and leaned
to Buddhism - enlightenment as Emile has said; because he  was into Zen
things (such as having a Reiki healer handle my harps before they  were sent out
to me); because he loved cooking food in a Zen mode--he made a  ritual of
it; and it was also a tiny bit of a joke at his own expense --about  his
passing resemblance to the statues of Buddha.

Those who worked with him in learning how to build harps and who studied
with him will tell you how intensely sweet he was in their interactions as
they  lived in his home for a while. He meant for them to learn so he didn't
tolerate  slacking off either so was a tough teacher, but they came away from
it loving  him....and permanent admirers and fans. No 'jerk' would win
people over that  way. Some jerks can fake it for a short while--enough to fool
some of the  people, some of the time... but no one can sustain it for that
length of  time. Sorry Richard, I tend to agree with you on many aspects
--except on this  one you have Chris all wrong.

David: Just as a matter of factual correctness: his dogs weren't pit  bulls
but Rottweilers and Belgian Malinois or actual German Shepherds from
Germany, possibly. He trained them for security or police work if memory serves.
I'm sure those who stayed in his home and his personal friends will provide
 the facts if this is inaccurate. He made a video (still available) with
Todd Edmunds (BuckWeed) wearing full body armour and playing the bad guy for
the  dogs to 'take down'.

My impression of Chris was never one of his being remotely insecure. Quite
the contrary, rather. Perhaps the reason he didn't laugh out loud at the
stories  that night was simply because it wasn't his nature to laugh out loud?
He did  smile--and that's what he did most often--a real and genuine broad
smile at  what he found funny. Some people simply don't laugh out loud as
part of their  upbringing. Chris' humor wasn't like that of others, but he
sure DID  have a great sense of humour. He kept ME in stitches the first time
we met  at a SPAH. He didn't laugh out loud then either, just smiled broadly
throughout  as he told me about his wife and the things she'd say (very
offcolour things, in  fact) as I was holding onto my seat so as not to fall onto
the floor. He really  enjoyed the fact that I was laughing myself silly and
I understood it simply  wasn't HIS nature to laugh the same way I did. I
saw him as more of the  'comedian' type: who makes others laugh and gets a
huge kick out of being able  to do that and watch their reactions. That's how
he came across to me--and I  spent quite a bit of time with him. In fact, my
own brother is exactly like that  too.

NOTHING ever in Chris' interactions with me were remotely ill-mannered or
in any way off-putting. I treated him with respect and got it back. He was
also  very soft-spoken which seemed to surprise the heck out of those who
didn't  expect that from him.

Perhaps the real truth is that nobody really got the fact that he was
having fun and being sarcastic and even self-deprecating, but those who  fancied
themselves as harmonica experts who sought to put him down for no  reason
other than his looks when it had no bearing on his playing  would bear the
full depth of his wrath? In some of the interactions I read  later on which
took place on the MBH forum, I wondered what all the fuss was  about--since it
was clear to me 90% of what he wrote there was done  tongue-in-cheek and he
likely wondered why people took him so seriously. I also  saw him as a
'watcher'....acutely aware of everything going on around him, never  missing a
trick. Even when a certain player from Europe was behaving very badly  at the
harp blow-off in 2009--enough to make ME annoyed for him as he recounted
the story to me (I also knew from a main source that the story was true), he
dismissed his own annoyance saying he would have been more than willing to
still  help this player--despite all that this person had said and done to
him--(and  this was a couple of days later). He was far more generous in
dealing with what  he called 'a crazy person' as he smiled and explained he'd
had experience with  them, than I'd have been. He meant it though. He bore no
real ill-will and  handled most of the nonsense with equanimity.

What I DO know is no one could play quite like him. His vibrato wasn't
copied from Howard Levy OR anyone else. It was distinctly and uniquely Chris
Michalek's own. Michael's so right about that. Everyone who heard him play
knew it was Chris instantly. All you had to do was hear him play once! He was
 one of the few people who could ever hold his own on a diatonic playing
mind-blowing Jazz during the SPAH evening Jazz Jams so effortlessly, sounding
so  sweet and flowing so easily. His vibrato was something else and
amazing. I  got to hear it up close and personal--sitting beside him for over 3
hours in  2009 as he set up my harps for OB's and OD's at the teach-in, in
between him  helping others. I wasn't going anywhere--I was getting a master
lesson  from A Master...and for the record he told me he really didn't care to
play Blues at all - didn't consider himself in any way, shape or form a
blues player. He'd moved so far beyond that into jazz and experimental music
it  was difficult for him to play basic blues anymore.

One point I WOULD like to answer in Richard's post: I certainly don't
recall Chris putting down chromatic players, per se--what I distinctly  remember
Chris writing is that ALL harmonica players suck (and  chuckling) because
he specifically included HIMSELF in that  indictment. He attempted to explain
what he meant in additional posts, but no  one seemed inclined to listen or
understand his concepts. He meant that  harmonica players simply don't
reach the musical level of other musicians--that  even the best blues harp
player isn't close to the grasp of  musicality of a good sax or trumpet player.
(I'm paraphrasing since I don't  have his posts in front of me).  Doesn't
anyone else remember that?

 Whether you agreed with him or not is not the point--it's simply not  what
was written here earlier.

If you didn't like the guy, that's your choice. But Richard Hammersley is
dead on: your time to challenge him was when he was alive and could
respond...not a year and a half after he's gone. Chris wouldn't mind dissent or  a
good argument--what he would mind is vindictiveness. To my mind too  it's
incredibly poor form to write negative and bad things about a guy when  he's
down (or dead). Is there no decorum left here?

He has family-a wife, brothers. Good grief. When did being a member of a
harmonica list entitle others to dissect your personality and entire life
negatively in public after you're dead? I don't recall signing THAT
particular release and I know DAMN well Chris Michalek would not be doing  the same
to anyone who wrote so negatively about him if they died first!

Elizabeth