Re: [Harp-L] Ceramic vs Alnico

To my ear ceramic speakers tend to sound bigger with more bottom end
thump.  Alnico speakers tend to get more compression and crunch, and
often have more texture and overtones in their sound.

In my Mission Amps 32-20 amp (which is a 35-watt amp in a 5E3 cabinet)
I tried both the Weber 12A150-0 and the ceramic Eminence Cannabis Rex.
 I much preferred the Eminence speaker because it was more efficient
and therefore louder, and had a smokier tone.  I love the way the amp
sounds.

However in my Bassman I tried MANY different speaker combinations,
including the Eminence 10-inch version of the hemp coned Cannabis Rex
(called the Lil' Buddy).  I much preferred two Weber 10A125-0 speakers
on the bottom and two original Fender Alnico Blue speakers on the top.
 I love the way the amp sounds.

So...  I'm not sure we can say which is better.   I would, however,
recommend you try the Cannabis Rex in your 5E3.  I have a good feeling
about that.

-Rick Davis