Re: [Harp-L] Chromatic: Advantages of each position /warning long

On Mar 13, 2012, at 6:23 PM, Robert Hale wrote:

> CHROMATIC PLAYERS
> What makes you choose one key over another to learn a new tune? (When it's
> your solo, and you can choose any key you want.) And for the sake of this
> question, the same C chrome harp.

Ok, I'm back....now now now stop moaning you guys. Where were we? Oh yeah.
What makes me choose one key over another? I usually go with the key the tune was originally done in. But it all depends on the tune. I almost never play a C chromo IN C. So I would tend to use the draw keys. So the answer if 'strictly' my choice would be in the following order of preference: 1...F, 2...D, 3...Eb, 4...G. and if a minor 5... Dminor. The reason G is last? There are more breath switches with the sharp keys. Harder to get a smooth run with sharp keys.

A lot of times I will try several keys to find the easiest one. And THEN if the key I found is NOT compatible or the original key, I will switch chromos to achieve my goal. Example: A tune is in G. I may use an F chromo and play it in G. Or a G chromo in F. Or a Bb in D. Or an F IN F. The audience could care less about how you are getting the mail delivered. They respond to sound. And monkeying around spending a lot of time doing gymnastics is not high on my list of retirement joy rides. Purists may not agree but hey studio musicians carry a BAG of harps.

> Let me put aside for a moment these conditions for key preference - -
>
>   - for the singer
>   - for an instrument in the band
>   - I only have this one harp
>   - I only play C chrome in C, F and G (one sharp or one flat)
>
> Have you started learning a song in one key, only to find that another key
> (on the same chrome harp) suits it much better?

Absolutely. BUT it depends on the tune. Lets say a tune is IN C. Now you would think that it is easiest played ON a C chromo. Not always true. Some tunes may be in a key but are friendlier on a chromo that is NOT tuned to that key. Example: 'Sweet GaBrown'. Tough in C on a C chromo, easy as jello in F on a C chromo.  Hora Stacatto would be horrendous in C on a C chromo but luckily it sits nicely in Eb on a C chromo.

> ...more notes in a row,

Not necessarily 'just' the notes themselves, but a lot of times the enharmonic notes (the blow F...which I call an E#...and the draw C...which I call the B#). Of course the danger lies in tunes that while friendly enough, there may be a run of up 16 draw notes in a row PLUS shimmers.  Like the tune I just mentioned.

> with less mechanical concern? (breathing or slide)

I never worry about the slides. I burn them up. It's the breath switching that will drag you down. PLUS it can change your embouchure for a split second and to me that's like cocking a revolver and having the action throwing you momentarily off target. Better to use an auto-loader (in other words slide).

> And how about decorative figures, grace notes, that utilize the slide or
> note pattern in a way that wouldn't be easily duplicated in another
> place/key/position?

THIS is where you find that if you try several keys, the patterns are different but you discover that there are a multitude of patterns and some can be very tasty. That's the FUN of chromo. The conquistador mind set. Exploring the jungle where no one has gone before you.....or so you feel. lolol. Then it's the achievement, the wow factor, the epiphany.  I can remember in my youth coming across something...and to be honest mostly by accident, and then running around yelling at the top of my lungs. Yeah..you #$^&&(*(, there....take THAT, son&^%*&^*&(. See, see.

> Range Master: "clear on the left? clear on the right?"

The wording is 'All ready on the left?..all ready on the right?..commence firing'.  :)