Re: [Harp-L] The Pain Killers - Antone's

I have to admit it: my music world is completely different from yours.
 To me, when you first start talking about jams, there is no stage and
no sound equipment unless you bring it -- just a circle of musicians
passing the tune around.  What you are describing sounds to me more
like what we might call an open mic or open mic jam.  In any case, I
have seen a lot of different ways to run them and they usually always
have some sort of issue, usually with someone who doesn't get to play
as much as they wanted to.

One of the ways to run one that can be the most irritating is where
the guy running the sign-in sheet culls the people who will get to
play in order to fit in others he knows are really good.  You were
early, and they signed up after you, but they are hand-picked to play
ahead of you because he knows they are good and he wants to hear the
good people all play together.  It means that he may never learn who
else on the list is good, but it happens none-the-less.

We have had an open mic jam here for decades that operates very
straightforward.  You put your name on a list and the guy running the
list goes right down the list one name at a time until he hits the
end, then he goes back up to the top again and starts over.  When your
name is called, you pick up the musicians you want to play with you
and you get to play three songs.  If you came with a certain group,
like your band, you make sure that your names are all on the list
together and each of you get three songs.  This allows the show to
move faster because there is less set up time between the three song
sets.  All names are added to the end of the list and people who are
no longer there are taken off the list and the list continues to run
its circles.  This doesn't prevent occasional hard feelings, of
course, but it could not be more simple or honest.

cara