Re: [Harp-L] Just what exactly is 'key'?

Hi Arthur

The key signature in the Hal Leonard book has one flat. Some folks will
call that F. Some call it Dm. Since, by most definitions, "key signature"
should not be equated with "key" the distinction has little relevance to
me. The only reason that I mentioned the key signature is to illustrate
that despite what one may think of the term "key" one should at least
not equate it with "key signature".

I don't ignore keys as you suggested. It is difficult to ignore that which
one does not perceive.

My musical experience is one that began with the supremacy of key and
evolved to one in which key is seen as a clumsy and too often flawed
means of communicating which of 12 transpositions of any tune I should
play.

I have only been playing the chromatic harp for 13 months and I am sure
that my chops are nowhere near as developed as most folks on the Harp-L.
I do not claim to have all the answers but I do have some good questions.

Cheers!