Re: [Harp-L] Just what exactly is 'key'?

Hi doug

There is yet a third important category: Those who are aware of the many
definitions of "key" and find them ambiguous and of little utility.

I think that it is important for the beginner to understand this and I
think that it gets increasingly more important as one advances. I have
heard many folks (not necessarily on Harp-L) empower ambiguous musical
definitions of "key" with utility the definitions do not possess.

PS: When I wrote previously that "I don't have a definition for the term."
I should have been a bit more precise. I should have written that I
do not have a musical definition for the term. The only definition of
"key" that I see of a benefit is that used in standard notation of music.
But that definition applies to a notational rather than musical convention.

PS PS: What key would you (or anyone else) assign Coltrane's "Impressions"?

Cheers!