[Harp-L] Cleaning - Bar Keeper's Friend substitute?
- To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: [Harp-L] Cleaning - Bar Keeper's Friend substitute?
- From: Mike Fugazzi <mikefugazzi@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 08:13:47 -0600
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:from:date:message-id:subject:to :content-type; bh=5z7CjHJ7WYUhVeNKKxupZt+z3ltCSDB4HzFm3haG+CQ=; b=JXxCZ+9tI7Hln8oL+uUqoa143BFelPrS/Xr7pts/DRiyKLT6V0sysL44T/fIDTngaN K5jr/cwEXJ3lSc8G4w3AAZfbQF7F5o6JOm4v7DI82Nr4lgDiDropKLSCkacOhVcPdSi+ 4dQCjMhFhZaVurqZO6bgY24mc0MMI66EZaEaA=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:from:date:message-id:subject:to:content-type; b=G/8a4HabKFeHDQ/ZRJpTwWONfH4GCGZuBQReAQUqPsl2PnqzfGhD0olKzEcOq3jlvj DcgeYqrVeifYQ4NIml0zyvIeZJ3mkFemEx0VH7QDefKy1ClOfLYjeaG0wObHKh5MyiPe 6DQHyz+hP4aIR0Q2s6yigaXqHxBZVE/ZYQsmg=
I am of the understanding that http://www.barkeepersfriend.com/ is not very
easy to find at the local store (hopefully, I am wrong). Is there a more
generic and easy to find substitute? I will order if I need to, but I am
sick of only finding things online, lol. I picked up a G Marine Band from
the 60's in an eBay auction and after my general cleaning procedure, it need
some more cleaning.
Honestly, it was the dirtiest harp I had ever seen. The cover plates have
some rust and crud that I will deal with down the line, but there is a build
up beyond oxidization on a few of the reeds. Everything plinked and rang
just fine - in fact, it wasn't even too badly out of tune. The comb was
DISGUSTING. There was a ton of build up and it was obviously chucked.
At any rate, my goal is just to get the harp restored and working - I have
not plans to mod it beyond arcing and gapping. Yesterday, all I did was
take it a part and put it through a couple rounds in an ultrasonic cleaner
and then brush them with a toothbrush (not mine, my wife's). I am just
hesitant to add anything to the reeds and reedplates that might hurt them
and have heard excellent things about this product. This is one of those
projects where if I have five minutes to myself, I will noodle with it, and
waiting for stuff in the mail makes is less appealing.
Quicksilver Custom Harmonicas
This archive was generated by a fusion of
Pipermail 0.09 (Mailman edition) and