Re: [Harp-L] Reading Music

Interesting. As a teacher constantly working with students w/no knowledge of music on harmonica, I was fascinated by the idea that you don't need notation to teach theory, as I just couldn't wrap my head around this, as I will use notation (simplified) with these students. Any new easy way to teach theory will help me in my evolution as a teacher. More complete approaches to teaching, say, harmonies and voicings without using notation would be welcome to me and my students.

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Peloquin <peloquinharp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Harp -l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Fri, Feb 4, 2011 11:49 am
Subject: RE: [Harp-L] Reading Music

Michael Rubin posted:
> <<I also do not think you need to read to understand and use theory.>>

Larry E. posted:
> am curious.how may this be accomplished?

I am with Mr. Rubin on this. I could "read" music at a 1st grade level for over
10 years but understood a fair amount of theory (street educated/functional
type.)
Theory is used by me in conjunction with my ear (theory trained ear) to
improvise and "play by ear."  It was only after deciding to learn to "read"
music and actually doing it constantly in ensemble situations where it was
necessary, that I would actually come to call myself a reader. I could imagine
that theory for some is totally tied to amental picture of staff notation but my
mental picture is of note layout on the instrument that I am playing.
Reading is a skill for many of us that is independent of playing and only a
tool. Real music comes from within IMO, everything plays and sounds better after
the charts are gone  if you ask me- and I love to write and have people play my
arrangements! Blind people tend to make some great music.

Michael Peloquin
http://www.usaharmonicas.com

http://harpsax.com

http://myspace.com/peloquinharpsax