From: "Aongus Mac Cana" <amaccana@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, February 2, 2011 5:19:15 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] Reading Music

Sorry to keep banging on about this, but while the physicists and engineers
are otherwise occupied on formulating equations for free reed vibration are
there any brain function guys on the list who can throw light and/or useful
tips on a learning phenomenon I encountered while learning to touch type
twenty years ago.
I learned with the aid of a computer programme that started you on the two
index fingers and only let you progress to using the next pair of fingers
after you had achieved the target speed with the current fingers.
While I was engaged on the learning process I found that I could do mental
'off keyboard' practice by typing memos to myself while visualising my
fingers going to the appropriate keys. God forgive me, but I even used to do
this while driving the car - hopefully not to the danger of other road
users. The mental practice seemed to be almost as effective as physical
keyboard time.
However when I eventually graduated to all eight fingers and two thumbs, I
was surprised to find that I was unable to do mental practice anymore. The
'goldarn' fingers seem to have a mind of their own and find the appropriate
keys without any conscious intervention on my part. I even have to look at
the keyboard nowadays to find out where the keys are, having forgotten the
keyboard layout.
In trying to learn how to read music, I have been kind of disappointed that
my typing experience has not transferred as easily or as usefully as I
expected to learning music. I am now however "practicing" playing first and
second position scales on the chromatic when I go for my "constitutional",
visualising the notes on the staff and visualising my breath direction and
moving the harmonica accordingly. Time will tell whether this imaginary
practice achieves any results and no doubt the awareness enthusiasts among
you will say "tut! tut! when he goes for a walk he should enjoy the bird
song and the sound of the sea - live in the now!"
Beannachtai
Aongus Mac Cana