Message: 9
Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 08:17:02 -0400
From: "Luke Keefner" <lkeefner@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Why doesn't hohner or seydel produce a beginner harp for the
musically....curious.... people ( where I began and probably most of you
too) in a spiral tuning say in low e or d?  Most people pick up what is
available like a c old standby or marine band and think "this thing is a
piece of crap! If you start on the left side of the harp (like we read, left
to right) we find notes missing, notes duplicated, and the 2 draw sounds
like something is stuck in it. As we move up the harp we find some sequence
of notes, but remember this a squeeky c harp, we might be able to pick out
old suzanna if someone hasn't yet ripped it out of our mouth and thrown it
out the car window. You might want to try to play along with the radio but
not many songs are in C so again, frustration. Eventually, you give it to
the dog to chew or toss it in the junk drawer and forget it. Admittedly I
suck, but it wasn't until I learned to paddy my harps that I was able to
play much of anything that didn't hurt my own ears. Instead of braying about
how wonderful howard, jason etc. is we could do our beloved instrument  more
good by promoting this "training wheels" concept so that beginners actually
go out and buy a second harmonica. Luke