RE: [Harp-L] Why do they call them half steps and whole steps?

I can't add anything to Winslow's explanation but here's an analogy
that might help with the question of where these seemingly illogical
terms come from.

Music notation is a lot like a really old house which each successive
owner has extended and changed, you end up oddly shaped rooms, uneven
floors, awkward layouts and puzzling features like huge fireplace in
tiny rooms. It's not a building any architect would deliberately
design.

Over the years musical practices have changes so the language needed
to talk about music has changed and extended picking up quirks and
contradictions as it goes along.  The result is a hodgepodge of words,
symbols and ideas that have accumulated over time and continents,
with the result that although music notation may initially appear
logical and well ordered when you look closer it's just as messy
and inconsistent as a language like English.

Patrick