Re: [Harp-L] ASCAP Lawsuits

claimer: there is no harp content in the note (or thread) and I expect the moderator has already shut it down. in case it's still going...
-------------------
I don't get it.

Write a song that is so good that across the country and world people will perform it and make some money for themselves and the venue they are playing in by doing so. (Maybe you've tried to write a song like that, and found out it is hard to do).

Bars make a heck of a lot money off of other people's songs, and most bar bands make whatever they make off of others people's songs.

As the song writer, shouldn't you get a piece of that?

It might take a vast organization to make sure you get a piece of that, and nobody who works for that org works for free, so that org takes a cut (maybe a big one), but in the end the songwriter gets some.

Bars and restaurants, dentist offices, any business with music as part of their customer environment, pay annual fees that allow them to do so.
small concert venues don't think they have to pay the same fees?

if you've ever gotten a royalty check, it came as a result of that system.

I happen to think songwriters should get paid, too.

I am glad that I can play a Guy Clark song and I don't have to mail Guy Clark a dollar when I do.
I know he is getting his through the fees paid by the club.

Bill

http://www.facebook.com/wrrichards
http://myspace.com/willierange