[Harp-L] How we learn Blues Harp

Why don’t most diatonic players read? Well, assuming they want to, (which may be an unwarranted assumption) the problem is transposition. Since you change harps and positions depending on the material when you are playing diatonic, it is almost impossible to associate a certain written note with a particular hole or location on the diatonic harmonica. This isn’t a problem on the chromatic because you ordinarily use a single instrument and the relationship of the holes on the instrument to the written notes stays the same.

I can sort of read music. At least i can read well enough to learn a tune from a chart if you give me enough time. Can't sight read, though. In order to play from a chart i need to convert the notes to degrees of the scale and then decide what key harp to use in what position. I know which holes correspond to what degrees of the scale in which position, so I don't have to struggle to transpose if i do it this way. And it IS a lot easier for me to learn a tune this way than just from listening to a recording. But unless i am familiar with what the tune is supposed to sounds like, I almost always need a recording to guide me as I learn a tune from sheet music. I can't usually do it working from a chart by itself.

JP