[Harp-L] Re: What Constitutes Being A "Professional"?

>From what I've read on Harp-l, it sounds like "Billy James has the best take on this subject. Years ago, through much hard work and dedication, I was a very competent performing juggler. My situation kept me from making a living at it, but I made money on occasion. When people referred to me as a "professional" I felt embarrassed because that wasn't where my main living came from. I was led to look up the term in my dictionary and found several definitions, including some fitting for my situation:
pro·fes·sion·al
play_w2("P0582300")

 (pr-fsh-nl)
adj.
1.
a. Of, relating to, engaged in, or suitable for a profession: lawyers, doctors, and other professional people.
b. Conforming to the standards of a profession: professional behavior.
2. Engaging in a given activity as a source of livelihood or as a career: a professional writer.
3. Performed by persons receiving pay: professional football.
4. Having or showing great skill; expert: a professional repair job.
n.
1. A person following a profession, especially a learned profession.
2. One who earns a living in a given or implied occupation: hired a professional to decorate the house.
3. A skilled practitioner; an expert.

 I am now a performing singer/harmonica player and though I have no need to call myself a professional, if others do I am flattered because I do work hard at it though most of my living comes from elsewhere. Though I'm no Kim Wilson or Charlie Musselwhite, compared to a non-player, I am a PROFESSIONAL.
Lare Sattler    The Little Chicago Band    Canton, Ohio