Re: [Harp-L] Bottle of Blues Mic

"John Dekker" wrote:
<John Gindick speaks highly of the Bottle of Blues mic as a first mic. Any opinions, <good, bad or PoC?

I have a BoB, and I think it's an interesting mic.  Great ergonomics, very particular sound, and good build quality, a worthy addition to anyone's mic cabinet, especially given the low cost ($35 as I recall).  One guy sent me a recording he made with a Digitech RP250 and a BoB, and I loved the sound.

However, I don't think it's a good choice for a first mic.  A first mic should be versatile enough to do a few things well, and the BoB isn't very good for anything besides amped blues or rock.  It has a lot of low frequency response, not a lot of high frequency response. You sure can't sing through it.

A better choice for a first mic is an Audix Fireball V or a Shure SM57 or SM58. Any of these will give you a lot more versatility at a slightly higher price.  Exactly which is chosen depends in large part on the amp you're planning to use it with and the style of music you plan to play.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick