[Harp-L] Re: Dumping on other harmonica players' videos

>Martin made a comment earlier about wondering why would we think  it'd be a
>good thing to promote the playing of harmonica among children and  I see
>this as part of the same discussion:  Because - with new players of  any genre
>coming along - showing interest in harmonica, buying instruments as  they
>develop their interest, keeps harmonica companies in business which in turn
>helps YOU (and all of us) still have access to the instruments we hope to
>keep  playing. If for no other reason than pure selfishness, it behooves us to
>welcome  new players.

This last sentence is agreeable.
  It also behooves new players to make an effort on the instrument. But if they don´t, as I said, I won´t kill them, but just possibly, just possibly, may make the random comment on a harmonica debating list about peoples playing, if they feel the need to publish their attempts. (Not very fond of the expression "dumping", though, touch of vulgarity there, but maybe I´m missing the finer points?)
  They can handle that if they can make their efforts available to the general public.
  Otherwise, don´t publish. It´s no law of nature that you shall put up bad/mediocre stuff on Youtube, just because you can. As a demonstration of a work in progress it may have it´s interest and instructional value, and then you can announce that.
  Beside the point but: My own playing is pretty damned un-impressive. If I make a Youtube video at some point -- please butcher me then! -- it will be to illustrate the frustrations of still being un-impressive after all these years and what you can do about it. (Drinking helps, I´ve found.)

That a reason for "welcoming new players" should be that harmonica companies then will be "kept in business" is rather far from my horizon, I confess. I build no harmonicas, but I wish them success in building better and less expensive harmonicas.
  New players should of course be welcomed -- but they should also, IMO, be made aware that all instruments make demands on those who practise them -- even the harmonica.
  That will raise the standards of playing. Raised standards of playing is a good thing. The world needs another crappy harmonica player just as much as it needs another "Terminator" movie.

  THis has echoes of a debate from some yrs ago, the topic pretty exhausted then, and I won´t comment anymore.

  Cheers,
  Martin

  BTW, I recognize no "harmonica community".