[Harp-L] Subject: Re: Dumping on other harmonica players' Videos for no good reason...

But....I wasn't talking about 'top mechanics'....or even 'top harmonica
players', so your example doesn't seem to apply, imho.

A top harmonica player - I'll use Jason Ricci as my  personal example -
would never and HAS never found the need to put  down or insult another player
in writing in a public forum. That's a fact.

Further, we weren't talking about genuine 'critiques', but of laughing at
and insulting - whether by innuendo or outright comment and including the
person's choice of genres. Why is choice of genres even a topic of
conversation  here?  Is this 'blues-l, jazz-l, classical-l'?  I thought it was  harp-l
 - everything related to harmonica. Mike's just affirmed that fact -  and
more power to him for wanting to play his music HIS way.

I was also specifically alluding to people who put videos onto YouTube for
their own use and needs - such as those who want to send them to family and
 friends living far afield (didn't I already mention this?), or per
requests from  friends who have no other way to experience their loved ones' music.
There are  soldiers posted overseas for whom this is the only way to see
their loved  ones' music. Anyone spare a thought for that?  What must their
family  members feel like reading nasty comments beneath THOSE videos..and
trust me I've  seen more vicious and uncalled for comments on harmonica videos
than I ever need  or want to.

Those are specifically the ones I'M talking about - continuing the  same
thread from a couple of years ago - when a lot of people here decided that  as
long as a harmonica video was put up on YouTube it was 'fair game' to be
brought here to be dissected, and they WERE being dissected. Almost
invariably the comments were not kind. 'Dumping-on' is most assuredly  exactly what
was being done. You might consider it 'people talking'...but you  weren't on
the receiving end of it.

Perhaps you don't see it as 'dumping' Smokey, or actual 'critiques' because
 you're very thick-skinned seemingly. Then again - the comments made on the
 videos I continually posted of your playing many times here 'back when'
were  invariably positive so you haven't had to personally deal with people
'dissecting' or insulting you. I wonder if you'd feel quite the same way if
your  playing was trashed for no good reason?

I'm stating here and now - that IF I were ever to put something up on
YouTube or anywhere else (hardly likely under the current circumstances but I do
 play at Open Mics at some conventions so who knows what others may do?), I
am  specifically invoking my personal privacy rights against having anyone
on Harp-l  posting it here for critiquing and/or dissection without my
express permission.

There are cases on YouTube/facebook/myspace - the internet in general-
where very vulnerable adolescents have actually committed suicide due to  being
attacked/vilified/insulted verbally by other people (pick one - I was
trying to use the least inflammatory word previously).

People - even musicians, have to be aware of the repercussions of their
actions and even their choice of words.  Where on earth did all the JOY go
and all this 'righteous' nastiness surface?  This isn't what music is
supposed to be about, is it?  It's sure leaving a sour taste, if it  is.

'Dusting oneself off' isn't easy at all when one is young and  vulnerable,
and just to reiterate something a lot of us know - most people  posting
online ARE young. Not everyone out there on the internet is a grown
professional musician (we ARE talking harmonica here and not your level of  trained
mechanics who would pretty much be grown adults simply by virtue of  their
level of expertise).

Sorry, but I don't see how one has anything much to do with the topic in
question.

Elizabeth

"Message: 4