Re: [Harp-L] Re: Best harp amp for under $500

Tim Bete wrote:
<Wow, thanks for all the responses! I'm wading through all the suggestions and <listening to online sound samples. I'm certainly learning a lot.
<Are amp modelers difficult to figure out? I don't want to become a sound engineer, I <just want to blow a little amplified harp. GarageBand has an amp modeler that I've <used a little but I don't understand what most of the settings mean.

Amp modelers in themselves aren't all that tough to figure out--they act like amps, and they have similar controls.  What's tough is when the amp modeler is bundled with a whole bunch of effects--compression, delay, reverb, EQ, chorus, flange, etc.--and with a bunch of cabinet models, which is the case with the pedals made by Digitech, Line 6, and Zoom, among others. That's a lot of stuff to configure.

I make it easy for Digitech RP users by selling patch sets for the RP250/255/350/355 that include several sets of 60-70 pre-configured sounds--amp models plus FX, all ready to go.  Line 6 (Pod) and Zoom (G1, G2, etc.) users have to figure it out for themselves, which several players have managed to do.  But it takes time.  The $25 I charge for the Digitech patch set represents hundreds of hours of development time.  (I think it's worth the $25 for most people.)  Once you've got the patch set, it's as easy as loading the patch set, plugging the mic into the device, plugging the device into the PA or keyboard amp, and selecting the patch you want.

The dead-simplest amp modelers out there are the Boss Fender Bassman and Fender Deluxe Reverb pedals.  You get a pedal that basically includes one amp model and one cabinet model, plus reverb in the case of the Deluxe Reverb pedal.  They sound good.  My only quarrel with both of these pedals is that they give you one amp, period, and that's not incredible value for money when you can buy a pedal for the same money ($150) that gives you a couple dozen amp models plus a lot of FX. But if you want one basic good sound in an utterly simple package, that'll do it for you.  Plug the mic into the pedal, plug the pedal into the PA or keyboard amp, set the volume and tone, done.  Keep in mind that you will definitely want to add a delay (or reverb, in the case of the Bassman pedal) at some point, and that's another $100 or so.  You'd have to do that with a real Bassman or Deluxe Reverb too.  (But your keyboard amp or PA may have that covered for you.)

The Vox DA5 is almost as simple as that, and for a self-contained unit it's hard to beat for a first amp, especially given that it costs less than $130 new.  I love mine. But it won't do the trick for loud gigs with a full band, and it sounds different when you run a line-out from the amp to the PA.  Even so, it's one of the best and lowest-risk choices for a beginner--you get a good amp with the most important FX for short money, and you'll still enjoy playing through it years from now.

Lotta info, huh?  Hope all this is useful. The truth is that it's a lot harder to find bad gear now than it is to find good gear.  All of the suggestions made on this list to this point will give you a setup with at least one really good sound. If you're willing to spend $500, a Digitech amp modeler with my patch set and a good keyboard amp behind it will give you a LOT of great sounds.

By the way, I don't recommend that beginners buy their gear used.  Used gear is a good choice for people who've been around the block and know what they like.  For a beginner, it's a good idea to buy new from a dealer that offers a warranty and a good return policy, so you can back out of the deal if you don't like the sound. Note that there's an exception to every rule, and if, as some posters here have suggested, you buy a rebuilt Kalamazoo from Greg Heumann, you can be sure that you're going to get quality gear that sounds good with harp.

Finally, remember to treat the mic and the amp as a system, and make sure to use your chosen mic when you test your candidate amps or amp modelers.

Good luck and regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick