From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Vern
Sent: Monday, August 09, 2010 5:00 PM
To: joe leone
Cc: Harp L Harp L
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Altering reed slots

Different long splices for different captains.

I anticipated that my approach might be too fussy and fastidious for a
person who can fashion a reed from a razor blade.  I knew that Joe would
favor a more direct metal-and-chips attack!

Although I can't deny that you could make your method work, I (and the
average person) would stand a pretty good chance of irreversibly spoiling
the plate.

How about this?
- Install the short reed in the too-long slot with no gap.
- Cut about .050" of the slug off of the tip of a long reed.
- Stick it and a .001" plastic shim in the slot and against the tip of the
reed with tiny dabs of wax on each side.
- Glue it in place with epoxy or soda-filled super glue.
- File flush with the surfaces of the plate.

Now the end of the slot is brass with a sharp edge and you know that the
slot will be the correct length before you apply the glue.

Since neither of us has actually done this, are we carrying a hypothetical
discussion beyond the interest of the harp-l subscribers?   ;o)

Vern

On Aug 9, 2010, at 2:36 PM, joe leone wrote:

> But you're a genius. I would do it differently. I would take a self
tapping ss mach screw and drive it into the end of the slot. Then replace it
with a brass mach screw and  then file off both sides and then square up the
end of the slot. Not that my method is better, just what I'm more
comfortable with.

> smo-joe
>
> On Aug 9, 2010, at 4:13 PM, Vern wrote:
>
>> I have not ever shortened a slot, but I would approach it in the
following way.

>> - Find a reedplate having a slot of the desired length.
>> - Place a piece of masking tape over the reed and slot. Better
yet...remove the reed before placing the tape.
>> - Turn the reedplate over.
>> - Build a well around the slot with masking tape.
>> - Spray the well and slot with parting compound.
>> - Fill the well and slot with silicone rubber.
>> - Cut with an Xacto knife around the reed so that the rubber will come
out of the slot. Keep the knife out of the slot.
>> - Clean the slot to be shortened with alcohol so the epoxy will stick.
>> - Insert the rubber mold in the slot to be shortened.
>> - Be careful not to touch the inside of the slot where the epoxy will go
with the rubber mold that is coated with parting compound.
>> - Fill the unwanted length with epoxy.
>> - Remove the rubber mold.
>> - File/sand away any epoxy protruding above the surface of the plate.
>>
>> The silicone mold can be saved and used repeatedly.
>>
>> You can get the silicone rubber and parting compound from MicroMark and
the epoxy & tape at the hardware store.
>> It isn't cheap, but you must be highly motivated to attempt this in the
first place.  ;o)

>> Good news: A minimum order of silicone rubber will do a very large number
of slots.
>> Bad news: Silicone rubber has a shelf life of less than a year.  So get
busy!

>> I predict that the slot will be very close to the desired length and only
a tiny amount of filing (if any) will be required.

>> It might work!
>>
>> Vern

>>> How? with solder? liquid steel? aqua mend? set screw? It would have to
be something that can take a HARD sharp edge. For the air splitting,

>>> yes, but mostly I lengthen the slots, not shorten them. All it takes is
a .10" square tapered file.

>>> You haven't worked with metal?

Grant