Re: [Harp-L] Altering reed slots

On Aug 9, 2010, at 11:15 AM, Gary Lehmann wrote:

Just reading a little Pat Missin and read about altering reed slots to
accomodate shorter reeds . . .

How? with solder? liquid steel? aqua mend? set screw? It would have to be something that can take a HARD sharp edge. For the air splitting,

Do anyone reading these words alter their reed slots?

yes, but mostly I lengthen the slots, not shorten them. All it takes is a .10" square tapered file.

Seems like (I am now realizing) that tunings like the one Michael Rubin
proposed a few months back, with bass notes on top, would be fairly doable
if one were to alter the reed plate (now why did I not consider that that
was possible?) . . .

You haven't worked with metal?

Why, you could even manifest the "ska tuning" as proposed by my buddy Grant
Osborne, where all reeds were tuned to the same note . . .
If you needed a hobby, that is . . .

OR, you could find a life. lolol