Re: [Harp-L] Altering reed slots

Different long splices for different captains.

I anticipated that my approach might be too fussy and fastidious for a person who can fashion a reed from a razor blade.  I knew that Joe would favor a more direct metal-and-chips attack!

Although I can't deny that you could make your method work, I (and the average person) would stand a pretty good chance of irreversibly spoiling the plate.

How about this?
- Install the short reed in the too-long slot with no gap.
- Cut about .050" of the slug off of the tip of a long reed.
- Stick it and a .001" plastic shim in the slot and against the tip of the reed with tiny dabs of wax on each side.
- Glue it in place with epoxy or soda-filled super glue.
- File flush with the surfaces of the plate.

Now the end of the slot is brass with a sharp edge and you know that the slot will be the correct length before you apply the glue.

Since neither of us has actually done this, are we carrying a hypothetical discussion beyond the interest of the harp-l subscribers?   ;o)

Vern