Re: [Harp-L] Chris Michalek... harmonica genius

Those that are only interested in blues do not have to be very concerned about pitch, as the out of tune is a part of the idiom. Everyone else may consider reevaluating their pitch control, especially when using bending techniques.

As a starter, learn what 4 hole inhale bend is supposed to sound like at pitch. If you pull it down to the "floor", it is actually below pitch by approx. 1/4 tone. If you are a habitual player that bends down till you can't bend down any more when playing, you will have to rethink, relearn and reprogram your technique. The rewards are worth the effort.

-----Original Message-----
From: JÃrÃme P. <peyrelevade@xxxxxxx>
To: MundHarp@xxxxxxx; harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: groovygypsy@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Fri, Apr 23, 2010 2:48 am
Subject: RE: [Harp-L] Chris Michalek... harmonica genius

My answer is absolutely not related to Chris, who is definitely a great
player, but I would like to say that, to my opinion, hitting every single
note and being in tune is just the least you can expect from a musician on
his instrument.
I know I'm a bit provocative here, since the harmonica is often considered
as a special instrument, with special "rules", but maybe we should all be
more demanding and consider our little instrument like any other one.
To me, the question is: do we, harp players, amateurs or professionals, good
musicians or not, consider the harmonica as a music instrument?
I hope I don't frustrate anybody here; it is just my two cents on an open
debate.

Best regards,

Jerome