Re: [Harp-L] Wanted = A New Amp

"just what would be a unit to move to"

I'll throw in my preference for Sonny Jr's amps - the Cruncher and 410/Super Sonny (depending on how much horsepower you think you need). Not just because he's the guy who started all this custom harp amp business, but because I like the way they sound, their immense beauty, and how helpful and supportive he is well before and long after the sale (when I wanted to move up from a used SJ1 that I started with, he went waaay out of his way to find me a buyer and facilitate the sale the whole way through, and I hadn't even given him a nickel!). He even helped my buyer a ton with setup and so forth with his new (used) amp and he hadn't made a dime from that purchase and had no obligation to do so as it was a private party sale of used gear. He's had some medical issues and been down on his luck a bit in that department so I feel like I'm helping someone who could use it as well. He comes off as somewhat cantankerous here at times when he posts but depending on your point of view you might call that "passionate." It's hard for some people to be Mr. Nice Guy when you're ill, I know I'm one of them. Usual disclaimers - I'm just a happy customer with no other connection or profit from referrals. http://www.sonnyjr.com/index.html

The consensus here (after this being asked so many times) is that you can't go wrong with the major players who you hear repeatedly mentioned. They are fine tube amps purpose-built for harmonica. They are well supported by the builders, and endorsed by some hellacious players. The main thing is that based on your personal tastes you may say "blah" to one while feel another is the holy grail you've been seeking, and someone else might come away with the exact opposite opinion. So find local players in your area who have them and see if you can do your own taste test, but consult with the builders to ensure that you are setting them up properly, especially for your style of playing first, if you cannot get to the builders directly (Sonny Jr is in Connecticut for example).

Bill Hines