Re: [Harp-L] Re: Reed plate protrusion

 Just out of curiosity, how much do your saxophones cost, Michael?

My electric keyboard cost $800. My acoustic baby grand costs $4000 used. Electric keyboard has "simulated" real piano touch, but falls quite short of the real thing. However, at $800, I considered it a fair shot and wouldn't really criticize nor complain about the action, although it is less than ideal.

My harmonicas cost me $18 - 22 each (I use the same harmonicas that I bought 10 years ago or older - Hohner Golden Melodies). Learning to tune/tweak/offset them gave me everything I could ask for short of buying a custom harp. As a matter of fact, when I compare mine to most custom harps, I couldn't justify the added expense to going with all custom harmonicas. The additional benefit would be small compared to the large difference in price. Besides, I'm getting 10 + years on my initial harmonica investment along with learning a few basic tune/modification skills. That, my friend, is a good investment in my instrument and myself.

Of course it would nice if we could all get more quality at a low price, but, all things in perspective, harmonicas are not very pricey musical instruments. I'm very satisfied with what Hohner has done over the years.

The Iceman

Why should we not expect better from the oldest, the best and the leader in the
business? Sandpaper is not my job, I am the harmonica and saxophone blower.