RE: [Harp-L] Hohner new harp - XB-40 observations and examples

This is a complete mystery to me. I love XBs. I don't use them on
everything, but I've got a C, G ,D, A, and am expecting an F in the mail
any day now.
I don't see any limitations with this instrument, in fact quite the
reverse. I don't see why they should make you play hard Steve,
particularly as you say they are loud...isn't that rather
contradictory?
I note Winslow likes them, and he is something of an accordion
afficionado. I use the XBs when I want a big, full accordion sound, like
on Tex Mex style stuff (Doug Sahm tunes for one example) or a really
urbane, fat, sax-like tone on R 'n' B stuff.
I don't use them when I want the mean, hungry sound of a single reed
instrument in down home blues and stone hillbilly.
I think you have to listen to what the XB really sounds like instead of
what you've come to expect.
Also, the XBs hang in there, and give very little trouble. I've
replaced all my 'low' harps with XBs, as they stay in tune for longer,
and cut through, volume & tone wise much better than single reed low
actave harps.
Plus, the notes that most subscribers of harp-l want to reach by OBs
are a piece of cake on the XB with no customising.
Also, there are so many repetitions of notes that you can play complete
scales with few changes in breath direction, and in the case of some
scales (usually pentatonics) no change at all.
I don't think many people out there have really given the XB a fair
go.
I'm not saying it will replace the single reed harp, or the overblown
single reeder, but it is really worth a try.
I would much rather play a country song or fiddle tune with a major 7th
in middle octave, in 2nd pos. on an XB, than OB the M7th on a single
reeder.
RD

>>> Steve Shaw <moorcot@xxxxxxx> 24/03/2009 12:11 >>>

> Hi,
>
> I have a XB-40 in C and I really don't like it at all. Cupping and
hand
> effects don't seem to have any effects on the tone; it sounds the
same no
> matter where my hand are. Yes, I can bend every hole be it blow or
draw and
> I guess that's neat but the harp has so many other limitations that I
have
> no real use for it. And any attempt to do throat vibrato or to head
shakes
> (trills) just chokes out the reeds and they stop sounding completely.
It
> also has a very bright and sort of tinny sound that I don't really
like.
> It
> sits on my harmonica shelf unused since I bought it 4 years ago.
>
> That's my experience with the XB-40. Others may have had better
success.
> Also, the lower keys my respond better. My advise is to not get one.
>
> Sam Blancato, Pittsburgh

I have a low D and a G.  I never use the former and I use the latter
for just one tune about once every three months.   I find I have to play
very hard to get even a half-decent response, and that just isn't my
way.  They force me to play hard and I don't care for that at all.  To
my ear the tone is thin and dry (though it sounds better on recordings
of myself for some reason, but still not warm and honeyed).  The chief
advantage (the only one to me, actually) is that they are considerably
louder than any other harps I play.   They were supposed to be a
revolution, but I note that they don't exactly overwhelm the forum these
days.

Steve Shaw