RE: [Harp-L] Hohner new harp - XB-40 observations and examples

> Hi,
>
> I have a XB-40 in C and I really don't like it at all. Cupping and hand
> effects don't seem to have any effects on the tone; it sounds the same no
> matter where my hand are. Yes, I can bend every hole be it blow or draw and
> I guess that's neat but the harp has so many other limitations that I have
> no real use for it. And any attempt to do throat vibrato or to head shakes
> (trills) just chokes out the reeds and they stop sounding completely. It
> also has a very bright and sort of tinny sound that I don't really like.
> It
> sits on my harmonica shelf unused since I bought it 4 years ago.
>
> That's my experience with the XB-40. Others may have had better success.
> Also, the lower keys my respond better. My advise is to not get one.
>
> Sam Blancato, Pittsburgh

I have a low D and a G.  I never use the former and I use the latter for just one tune about once every three months.   I find I have to play very hard to get even a half-decent response, and that just isn't my way.  They force me to play hard and I don't care for that at all.  To my ear the tone is thin and dry (though it sounds better on recordings of myself for some reason, but still not warm and honeyed).  The chief advantage (the only one to me, actually) is that they are considerably louder than any other harps I play.   They were supposed to be a revolution, but I note that they don't exactly overwhelm the forum these days.

Steve Shaw

 25GB of FREE Online Storage – Find out more
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/134665320/direct/01/