[Harp-L] Re: Butter TV spot

And another thing, as someone reminded me offlist--the use of clarity
to the tone and its impact on vibrato are definitely related to the
need to cut through the louder band mixes that were developing in the
early 1960s.  I think that's part of the affinity with Junior Wells
that John Potts remarked.  They treated a sonic obstacle as a musical
opportunity.  I realized that about Butterfield once I started TBing
and noticed when I tended to switch back to lip-blocking onstage.  The
effect on vibrato is analogous to lip-blocking low draw bends--you may
be able to get a different quality of expression out of them.

Stephen Schneider