[Harp-L] Re: Butter TV spot

Ev 630 writes:

I have to say that I am still inclined to think that (with some stellar exceptions) a lot of what is being presented is subjective appreciation of Butterfield as a performer (why you personally dig him) rather than objective comparative analysis to define his place in the history of harp music.

Drew,

i was writing in response to comments about the comparative depth and sincerity of of emotion expressed in PB's playing. When we talk about the emotion evoked by any artist, the assessment is necessarily subjective.

A more objective musical assessment of PB would include an explanation of the highly musical nature of his note selection and the quality of his tone and technique. I don't have a good enough ear to identify and articulate why his note selection is consistently so exceptional, but it is and there are others on the list who have the expertise to explain why. PB almost invariably plays "right notes" with a terrific sense of time, meter and placement. Unfortunately, I do not have the musical knowledge or expertise to analyze and explain why this is so, but I know enough to recognize that it is not simply because I happen to like what he does.

As far as tone and technique is concerned, I am not aware of anyone expressing the view that PB was anything less than masterful in that regard. So i assume there is no debate on that point.

Best regards,

JP