Re: [Harp-L] Butter TV spot

I have to disagree, Wilson and Cotton are magnificent players, IMHO Butterfield was an innovator of the highest order
Cats that a BZ 'copying and nailing Little Walter' have never floated my boat....different strokes I guess.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ev630" <eviltweed@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "David Brown" <nonidesign@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, December 19, 2009 12:55 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Butter TV spot

I didn't say he wasn't a blues musician. I just said that his rock
sensibility doesn't float my boat. And I hear his influences a lot when I
drop into jams and hear cats playing those arpeggiated licks that push the
beat.

Regarding Muddy (one of my all-time favorite blues musicians) Muddy also
said that Kim Wilson was the first harp player who was closest to Little
Walter in nailing Muddy's preferred accompaniment. Just because Muddy played
and recorded with someone doesn't prove anything. And what's to prove?

I'm just making the observation that Butterfield - IMO - gets the most props
from guys because he was the first great player many of them heard, rather
than being the best on the scene at the time. Give me his near contemporary,
James Cotton, any day of the week. History, and that TV show, might have
been different if the TV executives had been willing to put Cotton on TV.