Re: [Harp-L] Gunslingers

This is a great question.  I have a seven piece band.  we play Blues, Jazz Funk, Rock, lots of
stuff.  I'm really blessed to be in this band.  All my band cares about is the music sounding
great.  There are seasoned guys in my band.  Guys that have played Vegas, my bass player is
a Berkley grad so you get the idea.  Everyone has the chops to come into the band situation
with a gunslinger attitude, but no one does.

We all just want the band to sound tight, strong and play our best...thats it!  I would imagine
at one time in their careers that perhaps they all had the gunslinger 'tude in their younger
more inexperienced years but everyone has learned that type of attitude in a seven piece
band, in ANY band for that matter is useless and defeats the whole purpose of why you play
music.  Make it sound as great as possible.  No just good, great.  If you're not striving for
that, why play?

A gunslinger attitude can stifle  a bands creativity and musicianship.  Because one slinger in
the band can and will pull the ambition out of other players unintentionally without even
realizing it.

WVa Bob asked; So let me pose this question: If you feel competitive, how do you
> deal with it in terms of music? How do you let go of it? Or maybe
> you don't, or maybe you aren't competitive?

How do you let go of it?   Just concentrate on the music and listening and communicating
with your bandmates to the best of your abilities.  To make the music sound great and not to
fill your ego.

Roger Gonzales MA/Mus.Ed.
Fresno,CA.

-