Re: R: [Harp-L] music

It's interesting, because that's not my experience.

Lately, I've had opportunities to play with a trad jazz and a gypsy jazz outfit, and both bands told me that they thought what I was doing sounded really good even though it didn't sound like blues.

I know that what I did was not high quality stuff, although clearly playing with the trad guys was a lot more accessible to me at my level than playing with the gypsy jazz guys. But I'm not a pro and I rarely even have time to practice these days. But while I don't consider what I do to be good enough, I can only see that what I do is different to 95% of what other diatonic harmonica players do.

I don't consider that to be stretching out, by the way, just using the harp as an instrument (as you said) as opposed to using it as a blues frontrunner.

I think that ultimately the audience doesn't care as long as it's good music. Other musicians might care because the mental image of instruments is a lot more important to musicians than it is to anyone else.

And by the who ever said that you couldn't play rock leads like a guitar ? Not only can you, but it sounds shit hot when done well !

(I guess I don't have to point you to BT's Stand to prove my point...)

Benoit
One of the fellow Italian Stallions on the board kindly asked a clarifying question about my previous post and here was my respones:

People don't care about harmonica....they don't necessarily care about me either (lol), but my point is that people don't like harmonica like they like guitar. ;)

Pushing the enevelope on harp can often make you even less accessible. There are much "easier" insturments to gig with successfully.
Mike Fugazzi
Vocals/Harmonica
"NiteRail"
Press Kit (Brand New!)

Video

"This year I will be more thoughtful of my fellow man, exert more effort in each of my endeavors professionally as well as personally. Take love wherever I find it, and offer it to everyone who will take it. In this coming year I will seek knowledge from those wiser than me and try to teach those who wish to learn from me. I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can."
-Duane Allman

"Music should be healing; music should uplift the soul; music should inspire. There is no better way of getting closer to God, of rising higher towards the spirit, of attaining spiritual perfection than music, if only it is rightly understood." -Hazrat Inayat Khan