Re: [Harp-L] music

I've found that the more unique I try to be on harp, the lesser the response.  I am not a pro musician, and I have things I am good at, but I don't think of myself as all that.  I do know that my style is different than most harp players (including those not on the list) for better or for worse.  I work really hard to avoid cliches at all cost.

I suppose my style is a mash-up of Clint Hoover, Chris Michalek, Jason Ricci, John Popper, and Derek Trucks- which doesn't sound all that original, I suppose.  But, I play harmonica.  I've done the blues thing, I've done a lot of "rock" playing guitar and slide leads, and I've tried DESPERATELY to get a country gig.  Truth is, nobody cares about harmonica.  It is very hard to find any musicians who will even give it a chance.

Basically, I get told that harmonica is for blues and can't be used for anything else.  IT IS A MUSICAL INSTURMENT!!!  It can play the same scales and notes as most other insturments...why can't harmonica work in a non-blues context!?!?!?!  Why so closed minded???  I have litreally heard a crowd go nuts for a recycled second generation SRV solo and then yawn while the harmonica player takes a solo that would make most guitar players blush.

I've been in a stretch for about a year now where I've regretted choosing harmonica over a more "traditional" insturment.  It is very hard to find work.  The blues guys don't like me because I am young and stretch the insturment as much as I can.  The rock guys don't dig me because only guitar can play a rock lead, and country guys don't get it.  I know I am whinning and you get stop reading whenever you'd like.  ;)

The harp is a foul temptress...the better you get, the less you're welcomed by others. People don't listen to harmonica, they hear years of preconceived notions and stereotypes but find it near impossible to actual hear what you're saying.  I know some of you have ran into this before.  The part that makes things MOST frustrating for me is hearing someone recycle blues riffs over a funk or jazz tune, play totally out of the song's context, and then make a name for themselves while guys like Paul deLay, Carlos Del Junco, Jason Ricci, Howard Levy, and half this list go unnoticed.

There is safety in playing it safe.  There isn't a enough harmonica love to play dangerously and not burn some bridges.  It is better than a generation ago, but those who want harmonica want "harp" and not musicianship.  Tired recycled blues solos from 60 years ago are what the harp listening audience tends to get into.  They don't care about overblows, 12 position, etc.

I am going to try and continue to buck the trend, but I'll go through occassional moments like this where I have a chip on my shoulder.  It usually goes away in an hour or two.

Mike Fugazzi
Vocals/Harmonica
"NiteRail"
Press Kit (Brand New!)

Video

"This year I will be more thoughtful of my fellow man, exert more effort in each of my endeavors professionally as well as personally. Take love wherever I find it, and offer it to everyone who will take it. In this coming year I will seek knowledge from those wiser than me and try to teach those who wish to learn from me. I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can."
-Duane Allman

"Music should be healing; music should uplift the soul; music should inspire. There is no better way of getting closer to God, of rising higher towards the spirit, of attaining spiritual perfection than music, if only it is rightly understood."
-Hazrat Inayat Khan