RE: [Harp-L] Re: [HarpTalk] Playing at Jam Sessions

Robert McGraw wrote:
...one of the problems I think we all see from too many harp players,
especially intermediate players, is playing too much, all the time. I
certainly was guilty of that...with me, at a certain point in my
playing, having listened to Chicago style a lot, I had heard the greats
playing pretty much all the time behind vocals, and I thought that's
what I should do...

As David Brown pointed out, jams attract a lot of newbies who are
inexperienced with the group setting. I don't fault them for that,
'cause we've all been there. But, as hypocritical as it may be, I still
get annoyed playing next to "the next Stevie Ray" while I try to
tastefully add fills and runs behind the vocals.

I love 40 Days and 40 Nights by Muddy Waters with Little Walter on harp.
LW plays constantly throughout the song behind the vocals, but it never
sounds out of place. In light of this thread, I had to consider what it
was about that song which made it work so well when other like-scenarios
don't.

I think the answer is that the band was experienced and knew how to back
each other, not just back the vocals or the lead guitarist. In the case
of 40 Days, the guitar laid low while the harp took on the guitar
responsibilities, so-to-speak. If the guitar had been driving equally
hard, the whole thing would have been a mess.

Unfortunately, in most jam sessions, the stage is rarely populated by
seasoned musicians exclusively. My rule of thumb at jams, open mics,
etc. is to lay low for the first part of the song and see where the
whole thing is heading. I pick my "opportunities" based on what I gather
during that time. If it is obvious that I am in a sinking boat, I just
play subtly and fill when I can; or maybe do the "pantomime" thing until
it's my turn to solo. I have had people come up to me afterward and say
"I could barely hear you." I usually respond with: "Then I was still too
loud!" :o)

It is better not to play (be heard), in some cases, than to be perceived
as "part of the problem". If it is a lost cause, hang on until the end
of the first song and then thank the vocalist, guitarist (whoever the
"lead" person is) and excuse yourself to the bathroom, answer your cell
phone, or whatever. Be graceful. Be conscientious of how your actions
are perceived. No eye-rolling as you leave the stage, etc. I try not to
insult players in any way for two reasons: (1) That was me at one time
and (2) I've seen players come back to jams in a year's time and cut
heads like nobody's business. One of my favorite local guitarists is a
guy whom no one wanted to be on stage with two years ago. Now he's
turning down offers because he's obligated to too many bands. You never
know...

John Balding
Tallahassee, FL