[Harp-L] Re: [HarpTalk] Playing at Jam Sessions

I think of the harp as mostly a lead instrument. In an acoustic setting, the harmonica can play rhythm as well, but in electric bands, it is usually not very good for rhythm.

I do not feel compelled to play all the time. Some players feel like they are not full members of the band if they don't play all the time like the guitars, bass and drum; but our instrument is different - not less important, just different. I agree with those who say that most harmonica players play too much. Remember that horn players spend a lot of their time laying out. Matter of fact, I think of the harp as a horn.

But as to the question at hand:

1. I frequently play complementary melodies ("comps") between the singer's phrases, much as guitar players do. I almost never play while the singer is actually singing because that is usually disruptive. Playing chords quietly behind the singer is no less distracting. Exception is when there is some catch riff to the song.

2. I lay out when someone else is playing a solo. I am a solo instrument and not a very good rhythm instrument in an electric band. With a bass, drums and, probably, a rhythm guitar, what have I got to add? Exceptions:

- If I know the player, we may swap lines, or if I can help by accenting a line in the solo.
- If, like for a singer, there is a catch riff to play.
- If there is no rhythm ax besides the bass and drums, I may pull out a low pitched harp - c or below - and play chords. I listen to the bass and drums, and I take my cues from them.

Basically, other than solos, I play only when I have something to add to the sound of the group. So I guess "less is more" is usually a good motto.

-LM

BTW, before I get an avalanche of responses to the contrary, please notice my liberal use of the word "usually".