Re: [Harp-L] Valves effect/affect on "normal" tones.

My brief experiment with half-valving resulted in feeling that the
valved and unvalved notes were different enough to sound 'out of
balance'. By the way, has anyone noticed that on a Suzuki Overdrive, you
can get 'fingered valve' overbends AND 'half valved' bends? But then if
we wanted to use our fingers we'd all be playing chrom., right?
RD

>>> Larry Marks <larry.marks@xxxxxxxxxxxx> 18/07/2008 10:30 >>>
BjÃrn,

I play (half) valved diatonics. I have noticed no difference in tone
for
ordinary bends. That's because when bending the normally bendable reeds

(1-6 draw and 7-10 blow) the other reed in the hole, which is not
valved, participates as it would for a normal diatonic. It is much
harder to get a good tone from the reeds that are bendable because of
the valve. In that case, the other reed in the hole is blocked by the
valve and does not participate in the tone. Nonetheless, with practice,

you can get very satisfactory tones from the bends enabled by the
valves. Just play gingerly.

  -LM