Re: [Harp-L] Hohner reeds

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Baker" <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Harp-L" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, July 07, 2008 2:09 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] Hohner reeds

.............. the company made the reeds more flexible (not thinner).............

To make a reed more flexible without making it thinner requires a reduction in the modulus of elasticity (E) of the metal. E values for copper-alloy (brass and bronze) spring alloys vary only slightly over their ranges of alloy composition. This is because they are dominated by the E of the major component, copper, and the E values of the alloying zinc and/or tin are not that different. That implies some huge change of alloy composition.

As the reeds are made "more flexible" near the rivet where they bend, the tips must become lighter/thinner to keep the same pitch. Every harmonica tuner knows how that works. I posit that any significant change in E would result in a measurable change in reed geometry.

I find their explanation incomplete and unsatisfying. It sounds to me as if they are claiming more effect on performance than is warranted by a miniscule change of flexibility. I assume that Steve is repeating Hohner's claim and has not thought this through for himself.

Any company that has claimed that the different types of comb wood produce perceptible differences of tone or that breaking-in of a harmonica would extend its life has questionable credibility.

As Monk, the eccentric TV detective says: "I could be wrong....but I don't think so!"

Vern
Visit my harmonica website www.Hands-Free-Chromatic.7p.com