[Harp-L] Hohner reeds

The problems with reed breakages mentioned in various recent postings were a cause of major concern to Hohner a few years back. In order to prevent this from happening, the company made the reeds more flexible (not thinner), one of Rick Epping's last projects during his time with Hohner. This alteration, which was incorporated into production in 2005, has virtually eliminated actual reed breakage as well as generally extending reed life considerably. The production date stamped on the reed plate allows you to ascertain when it was made - anything ending with 05 onwards will have these reeds. Rick told me at the time that they were modelled on those of the legendary Herb Shriner Marine Bands. They are now used on all chromatics and Hohner classic diatonics (Marine Band, Marine Band Deluxe, Special 20 and Golden Melody). The reeds on the MS series diatonics have been similarly modified. The tempered tuning used on the GM is a separate issue and is not related to the reeds themselves. I hope this helps clarify things,

Steve

Steve Baker
steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.stevebaker.de