Re: [Harp-L] Re: Questions on Harp Positions

On Nov 17, 2007, at 12:28 PM, Winslow Yerxa wrote:

The positions go around the cycle of fifths through the complete
chromatic scale, with each position a perfect 5th (7 semitones) higher
than the last.

Dear Winslow,

Every time I think I've got my hands around this, I find a bit of information that further confuses me, in this case "circle of fifths, which arranges the notes according to the number of sharps and flats each scale has.

Putting your explanation above into action to figure out positions relative to a C harp, I drew a circle and put the chromatic scale around it and counted five places, beginning with the note after C (Db). E.g., Db, D, Eb, E, F. Doing so squared with what I've memorized up to third position. E.g.,

Key	Position
----	--------
C	First
F	Second
Bb	Third
Eb	Fourth
Ab	Fifth
Db	Sixth
F#	Seventh
B	Eight
E	Ninth
A	Tenth
D	Eleventh
G	Twelfth

But then, there's the dratted "circle of fifths" which is laid out clockwise as,

C, G, D, A, E, B F#(Gb), Db, Ab, Eb, Bb, F

According to my understanding, going clockwise from C to F#/Gb increases the number of sharp notes by one and that going counter clockwise from C to Gb(F#) increases the flatted notes by one.

Where I'm confused is how the "circle" of fifths relates to the "cycle" of fifths and figuring out positions. And also with intervals. I (perhaps erroneously) understand that intervals include the beginning note. E.g., C D E F G is an interval of 5, which I thought was a perfect fifth.

Are we talking about similar but slightly different graphic representations to visualize positions vs. sharps and flats? Or is there a way to use the circle of fifths to figure out positions? Or am I just missing something altogether?

Bob