[Harp-L] Re: Was 'Enough Please'/Free reed history

I don't know if uilleann pipes are in that regard the same as bagpipes, but if so, bagpipes are not considered free reed instruments.

"NOT Free Reed Instruments
It may at this point be worth mentioning a few wind instruments often erroneously described as having free reeds. For some reason, bagpipes are often described as free reed instruments. Whilst it would be by no means impossible to make a set of pipes that use free reeds, bagpipes invariably use beating reeds, either single or double. Even more frequently described as a free reed instrument is the Martinsschalmei (also known as Martinshorn, Martinstrompete, or simply schalmei - although the latter term is the German for shawm, a clarinet-like instrument). Even the usually trustworthy Groves Dictionary of Musical Instruments makes this mistake, although personal communication with the author of that article blames a translation error. These spectacular instruments are essentially a set of signal horns of different pitches played from a common mouthpiece. Each horn utilises a metal beating reed, much like those used in automobile horns."

Supposedly, Marco Polo brought a Sheng to Europe from China, a Sheng being a true free reed instrument. This is not strictly proven, however. A Euorpean violinist in the 1700's played the Sheng, but bagpipes were referred to in Shakespeare ("woolen pipes") if we are to accept that bagpipes are free reed instruments.