Re: [Harp-L] RE: My Harp Case

From: David Fertig <drfertig@xxxxxxxxx>
So I use a Plano Fishing tackle box. Solidly built, plastic, good latch. It holds 26 harps, two levels >with orderly slots so I know what harp is where, and storage beneath to carry my old Tom Austin >707d, backup Shaker mic, other harps (14 holer, etc.), repair kit, cord, earplugs, recorder and etc.

I used a Plano tackle box for years as well. Like Dave said plenty of room for diatonics on top on chromatics in the bottom. I carried it around in a backpack that had more room for more stuff. When I was a sideman I'd put the thing on the floor. I'm sure people gt tired of looking at my rear as I reached for a new harp in between tunes. As a front man doing as much time singing as playing I'd put the case of a wooden stool right next to me. I could put the harp and mic down when I wsn't playing and it made George Smith mid-phrase harp switches easy with all the whistles right there. It was convienent if a but cumbersome to carry the stool everywhere.

About 6 years ago I got the Harmonica Masterclass case and I don't think I'll ever be able to live without it. It's sturdy as hell. The holes are perfect putting the mic and harp down while I sing and for the aforementioned harp switches and as the website says "One of the holes can also be used for a water bottle when performing on stage." As it happens a Heineken bottle and Bass draft also fit rather nicely. It's also handy fr sneaking a lyric sheet or two if you can't remember lyrics, which I can't. My one beef is the threaded stand attachment. I damn near stripped the thing out threading it onto the stand before I smartened up and got a quick connect. Now instead of wrestling the stand and the case I just screw on a 2 inch piece and plop it onto the stand.

Here I am in action with my case
http://www.ryanhartt.com/CTBS_7_9_06/CTBS_06_ryan2.jpg

Ryan

Get a preview of Live Earth, the hottest event this summer - only on MSN http://liveearth.msn.com?source=msntaglineliveearthhm