To: <Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, June 03, 2007 1:31 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] responsiveness - Hohner Cross Harps, Meisterclass, MS harps

First a short thanks to Hohner rep, Fernando Bresslau, for his always
helpful posts.
I know these subjects have been discussed here and there onlist for years
but........
Yesterday a friend gave me 5 Hohner Cross Harps that he won't use. They
are very airy and non-responsive. I have yet to look at their gaps, but
checking the specs on hohnerusa.com shows them to be of the modular series but
they, as well as Meisterclass, use thicker reedplates than entire rest of the
Hohner line.
My friend raves about his Meisterclass harmonicas. This leads me to
believe that one harp that uses thick reedplates is responsive, while another is
just the opposite. I regapped the one and only Cross Harp that I have ever
owned, but it still plays stiff. and tight.
I own one Cross Harp, bought because my usual brand, doesn't make a harp
in key of high G. It was always unresponsive and I removed the printed name
of "Hohner" from the back of the harp, lest someone in the audience buy one
thinking that I endorse them (no offense, Fernando). I've gapped it so that it
should be responsive, yet it is still stiff.
Before I spend hours trying to improve these harps, what is the real deal
on responsiveness of thick reedplates, Meisterclass, Cross Harps, and MS
series in general. tia.
Ron - FL Keys