Re: [Harp-L] Modified Audix Fireball mic

On Jul 2, 2006, at 1:51 PM, Mike and Beverly Rogers wrote:

Hi. I have one, that I bought when they first came out, last year. It's low impedance. I use a line transformer, when I want to go through my amp. radio Shack has them cheap. I wrote to Audix this morning, about having mine modified. The bass response isn't quite up to par, the way it is. I use min to play through the P.A. and found that I get good vocal response, so I sing and play through it. I don't think it equals my G.B., through the amp, but is great for my chromatic and for that acoustic sound. Hope this helps.

Bullfrog. Thanks for the response. I did a bit more research and learned what you've just shared with me regarding impedance and the need for a line transformer,

"There are three general classifications for microphone impedance. Different manufacturers use slightly different guidelines but the classifications are roughly:

   1. Low Impedance (less than 600Ω)
   2. Medium Impedance (600Ω - 10,000Ω)
   3. High Impedance (greater than 10,000Ω)"

(Source: http://www.mediacollege.com/audio/microphones/impedance.html)

At 150 ohms, the Fireball qualifies as low impedance.

The Shure A95U seems to fit the bill. It's got an XLR to female 1/4 inch adapter all for around $30, not bad.

So the only outstanding issue is whether the one I'm getting will need the mod that's been discussed. The guy claims the fireball is new, in the box and never been played and that it was recently acquired. We'll see. In any event, I'll need to pick up the line transformer to see how it works with my set up.

Enjoy this fine summer day!

Bob