Re: [Harp-L] transposing alto sax music

The simple answer is, lower the alto sax chart by 3 semitones.

The rule is, when you play "C" on a transposing instrument, it comes out as the "key" of the instrument. Bb instruments sound concert Bb when playing "their" C. To convert to concert pitch, sharp it 2 semitones.

Eb instruments (like your daughters alto sax) sound concert Eb when playing their "C". To convert this to concert pitch, flat it 3 semitones. If the alto chart is C, transpose it to A.

Alternatively, you could transpose the harmonica chart up 3 semitones.

Many pro horn players can play "C" charts as well as those native to their instrument.