[Harp-L] Bad reed I think

I'm new here. I've been playing harmonica on and off for about 30 years. I
didn't know about the different positions so I've always played first
position "campfire" songs. That was kind of boring so I haven't played for a
number of years sticking to my main instrument of jazz trombone. I decided
to check the Internet for information on harmonica and boy were my eyes
opened. I found out about 2nd position and with my music theory knowledge
from playing trombone I was quickly able to play the blues on the harmonica.
In just a month I've learned a great deal from just reading the daily posts
here.

So, now I'm on fire for the harmonica and I think I've blown out a reed on
my Special 20. So I'm looking for some advice here. The reed seems to have
lost its "spring memory". Last night at a gig the 4d reed quit sounding.
Taking a look at it today found that the reed was sitting down in the gap. I
reset the gap however with the slightest push down the reed stays in that
position. Is that what happens when they go bad? Is the only remedy to
replace the reed or the harp? Does this happen because I play too hard? The
harp is only a month old. I've checked for burrs and the like and the reed
is free to move where it wants, it just stays where it moves to.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Todd Johnson