Re: [Harp-L] Bad reed I think

At 12:23 PM 4/1/2006, Todd Johnson wrote:
I'm new here. I've been playing harmonica on and off for about 30 years.

Welcome! You're not so new... at least to harmonica, from what I can tell. And, that's about my story regarding the instrument, right down to the 30 years part!! :)

So, now I'm on fire for the harmonica and I think I've blown
out a reed onmy Special 20.

I think I agree with you!

Lots of great advice already has come your way, but I think you hit on the problem by yourself. As you said...

...the 4d reed quit sounding. Taking a look at it today found that the reed was sitting down in the gap. I reset the gap however with the slightest push down the reed stays in that position. Is that what happens when they go bad?

Agreeing with fjm, I think so. And, because you then said...

I've checked for burrs and the like and the reed is free
to move where it wants, it just stays where it moves to.

Classic cracked reed syndrome. In or out of the hole, it stays where you put it. [Told you you're not so new at the game!] ;)

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Here's mine... since it's a draw reed, I would quit playing it right away, because you do NOT want to ingest, or worse, inhale a reed!!!

It may have nothing to do with your playing, as fjm said, although that is one of the more common reeds to fail, especially if you're new to playing or still working on technique. It's virtually impossible to be assured each and every harmonica reed coming from a manufacturer will be flawless in metal purity, crystalline structure, what have you. Brass is an alloy, and by default, may just have built-in flaws that won't appear until you notice something as you have done.

Save the instrument, as Paul suggested [NEVER throw out a harp... parts can be so handy, and a lot cheaper that way!] and use it as a learning tool.

And, may your next instrument be perfect for a long time to come!!! :)))

Good luck!!
Bobbie