Re: [Harp-L] Bad reed I think

If you look at the reed under magnification you'll most likely see a darkened line about a 3rd of the way from the rivet up the reed. That's a crack. What happens is the reed cracks and the effective length of the spring is changed. One way to make sure it's just not stuck is push the reed up through the gap with some long thin object. Once it's above the plate get a nail under it and pluck it. If it sounds dull it's broken. If it rings it's not. Sometimes an object will get stuck in the slot and that will produce similar symptoms but objects almost always clear after you push the reed up past the plate. Consider this advice just a shove in the right direction, there are other people on this list more highly qualified than I am to give advice on this particular subject.

Could be it just wore out, could be you were hard on it. A latent manufacturing defect is also possible. I've got a Jimmy Gordon Golden Melody on my desk right now with a dead reed in it. It failed earlier than I would have expected and I'm not hard on harmonicas. None of Mr. Gordon's other harmonicas have ever given me a problem so I'll assume an initially weak or damaged reed was the root cause of the failure. It could also just be I leaned on it a little too hard in performance. One of the reasons I almost never play street gigs anymore is I break harmonicas left and right when I do because I overplay to get heard. fjm