Re: Re[2]: [Harp-L] Toots and squaky sax playing on Toots and Bill Evan'sAfinity CD

On Mar 21, 2005, at 4:17 PM, rdg wrote:

Hi

Just a comment and not to the list given that the harp content is,
well, there but limited...

John Mayall's Turning Point album featured Johnny Almond on sax - and
through the entire thing Mr. Almond plays some of the smoothest, least
raspy sax I've ever heard regardless of genre. Actually, _no_ rasp :-)

Until I'd heard Mr. Almond, I thought all blues/rock sax was raspy and
shrill and I hated it....gave me a whole new respect for the
instrument.

Ron mailto:rdg@xxxxxxxxxxx

Yeah Ron, there's definitely nothing wrong with sax. It's probably one of the "IN" instruments. If you had ever have a chance to view 'Kansas City' (a sax documentary), treat yourself. :)

I just think that too much squawk is out. A little is OK, but some guys over-do it. A guy the other night tells me he blew out his reed. Get THIS: a.) it was synthetic (they're supposed to last) b.) he's always bragging about getting 2 weeks out of one. E-gad. I have the same cheap-ass Rico in my clarinet for MONTHS. He plays 'Yakety Sax' and that's all she wrote.

Like some harpies stay on the same 6 notes and keep repeating the same combinations containing these same 6 notes, over & over, (as nauseum). This (i think) is why some people get bored with blues. I mean there's 20 'bona-fide' notes there. I suck and I can get 27-28. So, why not use at least 13, or is that un-lucky or something?
Yeah, that AND squawky sax should go in the glazed. baked, compressed silica, urn shaped receptacle used to convey waste away from the living spaces occupied by humanoids.

smokey's ghost