Re: [Harp-L] Toots and squaky sax playing on Toots and Bill Evan'sAfinity CD

On Mar 21, 2005, at 6:05 PM, Joe and Cass Leone wrote:

On Mar 21, 2005, at 3:17 PM, Pierre wrote:

Yeah, I guess - LW seems to be one of the worse for for doing that on some tunes. I must admit I expect more from him.

Pierre.

Some people think the head shake is more showey. I suppose harp players did it and then when they got a reaction from the audience, they figured "Hmmm, that's a keeper". I feel that only the young should be able to get away with it. If 'I' did it, I'm sure I would strip a gear in my neck. Watched a guy do it last night (more on that in a later post) and it didn't bother me much but he was only 40.

Sax players who use that "squawking B" aggravate the hell out of me, and I thought I was alone in that thought. The trend comes from 'Rock', and has no place in Jazz. Since I don't consider Jean Batiste as rock, it's out of place.

smo-joe