Re: [Harp-L] virtuoso (vs crap?)-FINAL WORD

On Oct 22, 2004, at 6:00 PM, Pierre wrote:

I'd like to apologize to Robert and to the list for the way I worded my original response to his post. I sort of meant a lot of what I said, but I should have spoken more generically. I'm a computer scientist and I have been with computers for far too long. Thats not an excuse, just a lousy explanation.

* I (personally) don't think you have anything to apologize FOR. When I read a post, I not only read THAT post, but when I come across something controversial, I remember ALL the other posts from that same source and render a verdict. Since you have always been straight forward and honest in the past, I see no reason why you shouldn't be entitled to your own opinion. I actually saw nothing inflamitory. A person can play for 3ooo people 1 time, or 3oo people 1o times, or 3o people 1oo times. That doesn't have anything to do with being crap.

I have great respect for anyone who dedicate themselves to music. Musicians work for peanuts and get little recognition.When I responded to Robert, I felt he was bashing some of my heroes and friends and I didn't think he had a right to look down on them because he is more dedicated, but maybe he has earned the right to.

I always try look at both sides of the coin. The obverse AND the reverse, and I got a similar (veiled) impression. No one has title to being the arbiter of who is good or bad anyway. It's all a matter of relativities. One person is relatively good (as compared to so & so) while another is relatively bad (as compared to so & so). People have a tendency to use guages. We see them in all walks of life. They are useful to some extent to show where something sits in relation to the norm or to a certain standard, or level, or productivity.

It's hard to use guages when dealing with PURE humanity, as no two people are alike. As far as I know, Robert rarely performs at harmonica functions. The most likely suspect is that it's unreasonable to expect someone of his high achievement to perform solo when he is used to symphony orchestras from all OVER the world. This he HAS earned. We have crossed paths at least 6 times, he doesn't know who I am (why SHOULD he). I have always watched him closely.

I thank everybody on both sides for their great posts including Frank. I thank Chris for the wording of his initial post, the thumbs down and tongue sticking out at me was a great way of showing his discontent - very classy. Big thanks to Winslow who I thought would roast me and never speak to me again.

To know Winslow is to respect him. I don't happen to know him and we have never spoken BUT, I have watched and listened to him at at least 9 conventions, have kept a CLOSE eye on him, and after almost 8 years on the list, I can testify to the fact that he is a class act, sedate, mannerly, never a cross word, knowledgeable, reverant, and the epitome of the word gentleman. Every one could take a lesson from this guy.

I wasn't going to get involved, but I think too much of you people to stay quiet. Now PLAY NICE :)....smo-joe

Thanks again for your all your insights. The list is great, long live the list!

Pierre.

PS: Ah tabernacle! j'ai oublié de mettre le poulet dans le four *%$#%#$?$!!.
(Excuse my Québecois)